An agronomist by training (from the Ecole Nationale Supérieure Agronomique de Rennes, website in French), I have recently completed a PhD on the vulnerability of ecosystem services to land use change in mountain grasslands under the supervision of Sandra Lavorel (CNRS, Grenoble, France) at the Ecole National Supérieure Agronomique de Montpellier.
My PhD research centered on the integration of ecological and socio-economic data at both landscape (> 10 Km2) and ecosystem scale (> 100 m2) in a scenario – based conceptual framework for vulnerability assessment. It gave me the opportunity to work on the use of plant traits for assessing and modeling land-use change effects on plant communities and ecosystem processes (check out Quétier et al., 2007). Using semi-guided interviews, I linked these to ecosystem services identified by local and visiting stakeholders in a village of the central French Alps.
I carried out my research within the framework of a European Union funded project with 13 partners in 10 countries and I am currently involved in the inter-site analysis of the ecological and social data gathered in the project. My work involved close collaboration with the Station Alpine Joseph Fourier biological research station. My PhD is available here (7 MB with some chapters in English and others in French).
Current activities in the network
His main role in the DiverSus network is to foster productive collaboration among network members and to coordinate their activities in view of our common objectives. He was our project coordinator and webmaster untill May 2010.
He is also involved in a number of tasks within the network.
* Across the network, these are:
- The CF paper on the network's conceptual framework.
- The new handbook for standardized trait protocols (Pérez-Overloaded)
- He iscoordinating a glossary of social science concepts and terms with Daniel Caceres' group in Cordoba.
- Developing the DiverSus data base for all partners to use.
- Papers are planed on the role of Science in ES management and the institutional set-up of ES management.
* In the Argentine case-study site (Chancani), these are:
- The PhD research of Georgina Conti, Pedro Jaureguiberry and Esteban Tapella.
- A paper on the Social perceptions of functional diversity is planed.